September 4, 2015
The deadline passed, and the following have qualified for Monticello’s City Council:
For Mayor Pro Tem – Incumbent Bobby Jacobs—who is not seeking re-election (but is running for Magistrate Judge next year according to his Facebook page):
- Alton Standifer—nephew to Mayor Brian Standifer and son of county clerk, Sharon Robinson
- Stone Workman—former Jasper County Development Authority Director and former City Council member
- Randy Strozier—former City Council member
District One – Incumbent Cornell Williams—
- Cynthia Miller—previously ran for Mayor Pro Tem approximately 2 terms ago
- Cornell Williams—current City Council member for District 1
District Two – Incumbent Katherine Alexander—who is not running for re-election:
- Stephanie Chaney—a new resident of Monticello that volunteers at the Chamber of Commerce
- Jenny Hughes Murphy—works at and part owner of the Monticello News
- Shaun Bell—son of former councilwoman Jackie Bell
The election takes place November 3, 2015. Make sure you know where the candidates stand on the many issues facing the City of Monticello. Get informed and vote wisely.
Citizens, be informed and stay informed! Only by being informed can the citizens understand what is being done and talked about, and then press our officials to make good decisions for everyone in Jasper County. That is our goal with the Taxdogs blog.