May 20, 2017

 Last year, one property owner appealed to Superior Court and won!  It cost the county about $400 in attorney fees to “save” $61 in taxes.  The property owner felt strongly that his property was over-valued.  You can appeal and win too!

YOU HAVE UNTIL MAY 26, 2017 TO APPEAL YOUR PROPERTY ASSESSMENT which you should have received sometime around April 15th.

The recent property assessment mailed to you will show last year’s fair market value (FMV) and this current year’s FMV as determined by the Board of Assessors.  You have the right to appeal this value.  You should start by asking for a copy of your property record card from the Tax Assessors office.

You can find your property record card (and any property record card) HERE.

Here is how the appeal works:

 There are three (3) grounds for appealing reassessments:

  1. The reassessed value is greater than the FMS of the property (“value”)
  2. The reassessed value is greater than the assessment of comparable properties (“uniformity”)
  3. The property is exempt from taxation or you are entitled to a homestead exemption for which you applied but you did get (“taxability”)

If you feel you can show examples of similar property assessed less than your assessment, you should appeal. 


 Review the property record card to make sure all information is correct, such as:

  1. the acreage
  2. the year of construction
  3. the square footage
  4. number and types of rooms
  5. proper classification
  6. Check “subjective” ratings
  7. Major repair work needed
  8. Irregular land shape
  9. Flooding and topography of your land
  10. Zoning problems
  11. Restrictive covenants
  12. If you find an error, put in on your list of appeal points

Research the market

  1. Your closing statement, if bought within 3 years
  2. A recent appraisal for insurance or for refinancing
  3. Sales of similar properties

 If you have found errors or feel your property is over-valued after doing your home work, appeal your assessment.  You do so by filing out the appeal form.  You can fill out the form by hand or by typing it in.

 Click here for APPEAL FORM

 After you fill out the form, you can email the appeal to or take the appeal in person to the Tax Assessors office on the main floor of the courthouse, or you can mail to appeal to Jasper County BOA, 126 W. Greene St., Suite 124, Monticello, GA 31064.  Make sure it is either in the mail or at the BOA office by 5/26/17.

 You will receive an appointment to meet with the Chief Assessor.  If you don’t get any satisfaction there, you will appear before the Board of Equalization. 

 The Board of Equalization is made up of 3 citizens that are supposed to be unbiased and listen to both sides.  If you don’t get satisfaction there, you have to right to appeal to Superior Court and let a jury of other Jasper County citizens hear your case.  The cost is $25.  As we stated before, You Can Appeal and Win!



Citizens, be informed and stay informed!  Only by being informed, can the citizens understand what is being done and talked about, and then press our officials to make good decisions for everyone in Jasper County.  That is our goal with the Taxdogs blog.

This entry was posted in County, Property taxes and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.


  1. The Jasper County Way says:

    How can anyone trust the appeals board to be unbiased when certain members appear to be complicit in the tax shakedowns and in fact may even be shirking their own property tax responsibilities?
    IMHO the entire tax office is comprised and must be cleaned out and and reformed from the top down.Until then good luck seeking justice in a country controlled by the corrupt and unjust.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s